Programming & Activities
At The Alton, we focus on
The activities that make up a resident’s daily experience should reflect the individual’s preferred lifestyle while providing a sense of usefulness, pleasure, success and as normal a level of functioning as possible.
Activity=Being in Action
The activities that help us feel safe, in charge, socially connected, loved and loving come from day to day, moment to moment events and encounters of life. A full balanced life depends on successfully performing activities from three domains:
- Productive activities (work) that make us feel useful and needed
- Leisure activities (relaxation and entertainment) that are fun
- Self-care activities (personal and instrumental activities of daily living) through which we express our independence and the intimate personal aspects of personality
What does a person with dementia need to feel whole?
- To be Comforted is crucial for our needs for acceptance and tenderness.
- Attachment speaks to our need to be connected to significant people around us.
- Inclusion goes beyond attachment and speaks to our desire to be a part of group.
- Occupation understands that each person has had meaningful roles through life.
- Identity must be considered within the context that each of us needs to know who we are, what defines us and allows us to ground ourselves.
(Adapted from T. Kitwood: Dementia Reconsidered; The person comes First)
Programming & Activities at The Alton that Support Feeling Whole
- Outdoor putting green
- Daily exercise classes
- Dance walk club
- Outdoor games
- Current events
- Reminiscence groups
- Pet visits
- Eating out at local restaurants
- Twins baseball games
- Music therapy
- Music in hallways and dining
- Weekend events with bands and other musical entertainment
- Monthly birthday parties
- Costume and theme parties
- Happy hour
- Holiday parties
- National Night Out
- National Alzheimer’s walk
- Monthly support groups
- Alton family email program
- Monthly newsletter
- Memory photo albums for each family
- Jobs such as assisting with folding of laundry
- Greeter at front lobby
- Cleaning tables
- Gardening club
- Catholic Mass and communion
- Singing hymns