Programming & Activities
At The Alton, we focus on
The activities that make up a residents daily experience should reflect, as much as possible the individuals preferred lifestyle while providing a sense of usefulness, pleasure, success and as normal a level of functioning as possible.
Activity=Being in Action
The activities that help us feel safe, in charge, socially connected, loved and loving come from day to day, moment to moment events and encounters of life. A full balanced life depends on successfully performing activities from three domains:
- Productive activities (work) that make us feel useful and needed
- Leisure activities (relaxation and entertainment) that are fun
- Self-care activities (personal and instrumental activities of daily living) though which we express our independence and the intimate personal aspects of personality
What does a person with dementia need to feel whole?
- To be Comforted is crucial for our needs for acceptance and tenderness.
- Attachment speaks to our need to be connected to significant people around us.
- Inclusion goes beyond attachment and speaks to our desire to be a part of group.
- Occupation understands that each person has had meaningful roles through life.
- Identity must be considered within the context that each of us needs to know who we are, what defines us and allows us to ground ourselves.
(Adapted from T. Kitwood: Dementia Reconsidered; The person comes First)
Programming & Activities at The Alton that Support Feeling Whole
Sports and Fitness
- traveling volleyball team
- outdoor putting green
- daily exercise classes
- dance walk club
- outdoor games
- current events
- reminiscence groups
- Jumbo Jenga
- volunteer outreach
- pet visits
- kid visits
- eating out at local restaurants
- Twins baseball games
- music therapy
- music in hallways and dining
- weekend events with bands and other musical entertainment
- monthly birthday parties
- costume and theme parties
- happy hour
- holiday parties
- National Night Out
- National Alzheimer’s walk
- monthly support groups
- Alton family email program
- monthly newsletter
- memory photo albums for each family
- Jobs such as assisting with folding of laundry
- greeter at front lobby
- cleaning tables
- gardening club
- childcare with life-like dolls
- Catholic Mass and communion
- non-denominational church service
- bible study